Saturday, August 21, 2010

The ocean - man's garbage site - Part 2


Phuket is not immune from this Mid-Pacific gyre we are the apex of plastic marine rubbish collections.  Just out of Phuket Harbor, where harbor-mouth currents intersect with the speedboat lane to Phi-Phi lays a giant mass gyre.  A Khun ying who went kayaking with me timed 20 minutes for our fast boat to traverse the mass of plasticized muck.

When I arrived from Hawai'i in 1989, I was so tuned in from Alohaland the junk jumped out of the water into my kayak.  To date, 8,531 large rubbish bags have jumped from Phang Nga Bay into my kayak.  



For all the PR and hoopla, I never saw one piece of rubbish pass before the CNN cameras.  When I emailed Plastiki and asked how much rubbish they collected, they never replied.

The only places I know of today without marine garbage are Hawai'i and Puerto PrincesaSomehow, residents just beam pelagic rubbish from their shores.  In the process, these two clean seas demonstrate that with the will and proper habits, we can make a difference.  
Permission requested - Earth Rights Instituite
We are advanced enough to develop the means to 
destroy our Mother Earth, 
but are we intelligent enough to save her? 

See you on the water (with a full bag of plastic rubbish),

Ling Yai (Thai for 'Big Monkey')  AKA John Caveman Gray 



             
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment